Thursday, August 19, 2010

All better now

You know, if I start worrying about stuff like this every time he zooms through something I'm going to be a basket case before he hits 2nd grade. Richard and I talked about this last night after the carpet cleaners left, and he's of the opinion that we should just let him set the pace, within some limits of course. If Galen does reach a point where he isn't developmentally ready for what comes next, then we consult an expert. Neither of us think it will reach that point, because he's bound to zoom through some topics and not others. He may end up working a few grade levels higher than other kids his age (he's already working one grade level higher), but it's really not likely that this pace will continue all the time. What will probably happen is he'll zoom through most topics until he reaches whatever point he's currently at developmentally, then he'll continue at a pretty standard pace.

Then there's the fact that his fine motor skills are those of a typical kid his age, and some topics will take him longer for that reason alone - the second half of the unit we're working on right now, for example, teaches him how to write the numbers 1-5. I'm betting he'll only want to do one lesson a day for those (but I'm not going to say that too loud, because he's surprised me in this area before).

We've also talked about arranging for me to have a couple afternoons to myself. Richard has noticed that I seem a little stressed, and has, correctly, concluded that it's because I don't have any "me" time right now. I reminded him that the class I'll be taking Monday and Wednesday evenings was partly intended to do exactly that - taking post-calculus math classes might be his idea of a nightmare, but I actually enjoy them.

Yes, I'm a geek - feel free to point and laugh. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment