Friday, August 13, 2010

Singapore aggravation

You'd think a company that's been in business so long would be able to provide accurate information on their website. Their list of suggested manipulatives for their kindergarten math program was a whopping six items, two of which were optional because they're only used once (I bought them anyway because they're used in subsequent years). It turns out there are at least four additional items the first set of books call for that they even sell - I still have to go through the other set of books! So much for saving shipping costs by ordering everything I needed at the same time.

Other than that little surprise I'm pleased with the program so far. Galen seems a little bored, but when I pull the books out he tries to tell me math is hard. I think he's hoping I'll say we can do it later so he can watch Handy Manny instead. He does the same thing with reading. I know he's pulling my leg there because he already knows the stuff we're working on right now (consonant sounds). Next week we start new units in both math and reading, although I'm not sure the math unit won't be just as boring for him (numbers to 5 - he can already count past 20). At least the lessons are short and he loves to count things.

His occupational therapy evaluation got rescheduled for today. I had to scramble to rearrange a few things to make that work, but there was no way I wasn't taking advantage of the opportunity. Our original appointment was two days after Labor Day. Hopefully I'll remember to bring his pencil box so we can show the therapist the scissors and pencil grips we're using

That also reminds me of the conversation I had with my aunt earlier this week. She's a retired high-school guidance counselor, and I was telling her about the appointment and why I had requested it. I had originally asked a teacher for ideas to help Galen develop his fine motor skills, but her only suggestion was to have him practice his letters. I guess she wasn't listening to the part where I explained I didn't want to push him into that until I was sure he was ready. Just because he's academically ready for kindergarten doesn't mean his fie motor skills are equally developed. Anyway, my aunt not only had better ideas than the teacher did, she had more than one! Some of them I've already got (lacing cards for example), but she also suggested pick-up sticks. I'd forgotten all about those, and I used to play with them when I was a kid. I'm going to try and find some wooden ones on Amazon - I just hope they don't cost a small fortune these days.

Not much else to say at this point. Galen is doing great, although he'd rather play than do school work. Mommy is still trying to figure out what works best as far as the daily routine. I find it funny that I was concerned about making the transition easier for him when I'm the one having the most trouble. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment