Monday, October 11, 2010

And the other shoe drops

Well, I had a great day on Friday, and my weekend was pretty nice as well. I even got caught up on a little of all the sleep I've been missing the last couple of weeks, and was looking forward to a nice dinner at Olive Garden with Richard and Galen to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary (a day early, but I have class on the actual day).

First, we get to Olive Garden and the place is packed - I'm not in any mood to sit and wait for an hour to eat with a hungry 4-year-old, so we went a few hundred feet down the street and had Wendy's. We can do the anniversary dinner another night.

At Wendy's, Galen sat next to me, so I put my bag on the chair next to Richard - I will NEVER do that again! When it was time to leave, I grabbed the remaining stuff on the table to either take with us or throw away, but never thought to grab my bag because I couldn't see it. We were pulling into the driveway when I automatically reached down to pick up my bag and realized it wasn't there. Richard went back to Wendy's while I got Galen in the tub, looked up the restaurant's phone number and called them. They can't find it, and no one turned in a bag. At this point, hoping someone might have shoved it under a table or something, I called my cell phone so they could find it that way. No answer, and they had been told to go ahead and answer if they found the bag.

I called Richard to let him know, then started canceling cards. Looks like they never got the chance to use the credit card, or the ATM/debit card, and I'll have to take care of the library cards tomorrow - there was no cash at all in there, so they're out of luck if that's what they were hoping to gain.

I don't think there's much damage they can do with anything else other than my ID. That's my biggest concern, especially since there's a chance my expired military ID was in there, and that has my actual SS# on it. I'm not convinced it was in there, but I know I've laid eyes on it recently and I can't find it, so it's possible I put in my bag for some reason. The credit card company is reporting the incident to the three major credit bureaus, so hopefully that will minimize the risk of identity theft.

Richard walked all around the restaurant calling the phone, in the hopes they might have dumped the bag after taking what they wanted. They must have turned it off because the last time it went straight to voice mail. I've since deactivated it and transferred service to one of our previous phones. We also checked the account for activity on the phone. Turns out they didn't do anything except call two Arizona numbers several times - all 1 minute calls, except the last one for 2 minutes. We printed out a copy for the police just as the officer arrived at the house.

I think I'd actually feel better if they had tried to use the credit card - at least then I'd know they were after something other than my ID. It's going to be a lousy week, and I wont' be getting much sleep unless I find that military ID. Not having my SS# would really limit the damage they can do.

3 comments:

  1. Happy day! OK, that's a bit much considering everything else they DID get, but I found the military ID. I didn't THINK it was in my bag, but when I couldn't locate it relatively quickly I started to think the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so so sorry about your bag.
    it's such a pain to lose all that stuff. as for the olive garden, a few years ago doug and i declared after a 2 hour wait for a table at an outback steakhouse, that we would never by choice eat at another "chain" restaurant. we would discover individually owned local eateries that are family friendly. we've found some real gems, without a wait for a table... i'm sure that there is a great little place that can become "your familiar" as they say, where if you lose your purse they'll find it and hold it for you.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the places we know like that are on the other side of the valley, but I think when we eventually do go out, I'm going to request that we make the trip. Olive Garden is, however, the only chain I bother with any more because I love their food, and as long as you avoid the busy times the service is great. I have no idea why it was so busy on a Sunday night - that's pretty strange around here, especially since Columbus Day isn't generally celebrated out here.

    ReplyDelete