Saturday, October 16, 2010

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

...or at least getting there. I've got the replacement driver's license, credit card and the library card I use most often. I've replaced most of the stuff that wasn't part of the wallet itself, with one notable exception. I have no idea what I'll do about the cell phone. I hate the old one I'm using at the moment, but since I'm stuck with any replacement for two years I want to be sure. If I go for a smart phone, I've narrowed it down to the Palm Pre or Motorola Devour. However, as Richard pointed out, it makes no sense to buy a smartphone with it's $30/month data plan that I'm also stuck with for two years if I want an iPad, because the two would duplicate each other. On top of that, if I get the 3G-capable iPad, I can buy 3G service only as I need it - it's not unlimited like the data plan for the smart phone, but it's cheaper, there's no contract, and I can turn it on and off as needed. If I end up deciding I really do want the iPad (I'd wait until the 2nd generation iPads come out sometime before Christmas before actually getting one), then I'll just replace it with a regular cell phone, and the only thing that will change is that I'm stuck with the new phone for two years (no increase or change to our service plan).

As I've slowly been replacing stuff that was stolen, things have been returning to normal. As of today I have a valid photo ID again (I suppose I could have started carrying my passport around). The police officer who took the report said I would be fine until the replacement license arrived because they have the ability to check those records on the spot if anything happened, and I did have the receipt from ordering the replacement, but I'm still glad I have it back.

I'm in the middle of my annual overhaul of the aquariums. Once a year, usually in the fall after the temperatures drop enough that I'm not refilling the tanks with water that's too warm, I do a couple massive water changes, and systematically clean everything else over and above my regular maintenance. In the case of the smaller tanks, this is not a big deal, but the large aquarium is quite the project.

We've also done a lot of work in the front yard the past few days. I've got three gorgeous lantana bushes, but they've grown so large they're taking over the yard. We pulled a lot of dead stuff out of the one closest to the house, as well as removing anything that reached over the walk or the front patio. It's still a huge plant, but we ran out of room for the trimmings - the rest will have to wait until we have an empty trash bin again. I've also trimmed the Indian Rosewood tree so it's no longer trying to grab people walking to the front door, and we trimmed back all the dead branches on a ground shrub that technically belongs to the neighbor (they rent, and I doubt they know it's their plant because it's spread over the entire area between the two driveways).

Tomorrow I'm hoping to catch up on laundry, clean the kitchen (including the refrigerator), and tackle one of the bathrooms. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment